Thursday, February 2, 2012

What's Up?

It’s strange how you can’t look at a person directly in the eye for more then a second without saying something. Unless you’re a psychopath, it’s impossible to just make eye contact with a stranger and not say anything. I guess it’s how people are socialized: squirrel staring at you = fine (and FUN), person staring at you = change seats on the train but don’t make it obvious.

This exact situation has led me to asking a lot of Chicago’s homeless about their day. It’s not I don’t want to help the homeless or anything like that but I’ve felt like an asshole a few times in the past when I’ve asked a homeless guy “how’s it going?” He’s selling pencils outside of a Walgreens so how great could it be going? “Hey what’s up?” What’s up? I’m about to drink this pint of vodka at 8:00 AM because my life is a fucking wreck is what’s up. Nice question, bro. I wish I could just pretend the homeless are invisible like everyone else in the city.

What's up is a buster ass question. Keep coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment