Monday, June 6, 2011

Portugal Day 1 (part 2)

Continuation of Day 1:

-I feel gross as hell.
-Go to pick up the luggage and I'm relieved as hell that it's there. As far as bad situations go having to buy new underwear in a foreign country is pretty high on the list for me.
-Welcome to the Sheraton Lisboa! We use your currency as toilet paper so your bill is going to be fucking bananas.
-Lets go for a walk. I'll be fine if I wear my slip-ons, right?
-Lots of stone streets and old buildings. EUROPE!
-These roundabouts are insane. Just giant statues of kings/generals/whatever and high speed thunderdome carnage going on around the base of them. Grandmothers merging at 55 and think nothing of it. Carnage.
-I can't explain why I'm suddenly afraid of jaywalking. In Chicago I sprint in front of taxis 4 or 5 times a day but over here I stand and wait for the green guy to say it's okay. Did I forget how streets work?
-Man, there are a lot of cool things out here. I should have brought my camera but I'll make sure to walk back here and take a few shots. I know that's a lie as soon as I say it.
-Lets grab some lunch. 2 Americans and 2 British people look at a menu that's primarily in Portuguese. The joke writes itself.
-There's one Irish bar in all of Lisbon. Found it.
-Guinness and sandwiches. Pretty solid. The sandwich comes with horseradish? Haha, could have mentioned that. I'm all good with it but my buddy is kinda pissed.
-Been walking for about 5 hours. The slip-ons were not a great idea, after all.
-Back to the hotel. Kick it for a few hours and go out to dinner.
-My buddy and I head out to dinner right around the corner. The receptionist said it was good but who knows. I could probably be convinced to eat out of a garbage dumpster and I wouldn't say anything because I don't want to look like a dick.
-Do we seat ourselves? None of the wait staff is even looking at us. This guy will help us but he looks pissed about it. Are we being a pain in the ass?
-What's this? Cheese? Why is there plastic on it? What are these craw fish doing here? Did the waiter leave them here by mistake? Someone explain the craw fish to me.
-They serve beers. Superbock is the local taste and it's pretty solid.
-They took the craw fish away and it's probably the happiest I've been since we sat down.
-Portuguese style pork gets an A for sure. Red wine reduction and some potatoes in this bitch.
-All done. Solid service. Do I tip? I've heard you don't tip in Europe but that was from friends in Ireland. Is it different here? Just don't tip and walk out the front door as fast as you can without making eye contact. I'm a rock in high pressure situations.
-Bedtime.

Portugal Day 1 (part 2) was nervewracking but not all that buster. Keep coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment